Reckless driving refers to the act of driving rashly on the roads commonwealth, while putting in danger the lives and properties of people around. It is considered to be the most dangerous and violent of all other traffic violations. Any individual found guilty of reckless driving falls under the category of Class 1 Misdemeanor, on which strict penalties are imposed upon the accused. Following are the punishments imposed on the accused under the flagship of Virginia Law Section 46.2-868:
- The outlaw is convicted to Class 6 Felony;
- The outlaw is sentenced with a jail of six months or a whole year(depending upon the complexity of the case);
- The outlaw is charged with a heavy fine of up to $2500, but more than that is not allowed by the law;
- The outlaw is charged with 6 demerit points on the driving record, where they stay for eleven sequential years; and
- Driving permit of the accused is more likely to be suspended for specific time span.
The penalties are imposed by the court in order to ensure that the same act or offense is not repeated by the accused or others again. In case of reckless driving following consequences are caused:
- Chaotic environment;
- Haphazard surroundings;
- Severe accidents;
- Property loss;
- Traffic congestion;
- Law and order Violation; and
- No peace surroundings.
Traffic violations are considered to be a serious offense, as they can hurt people badly. Amongst all traffic violations, reckless driving is considered to be the most dangerous one due to the above mentioned postulates. Anyhow, anyone found guilty of any of the following is subjected to a reckless driving charge:
- In case if a person is found driving heedlessly or recklessly in a densely populated area;
- In case if a person is found driving rashly with a speed more than 20 miles each hour;
- In case if a person found driving rashly with a speed approaching to 80 miles each hour;
- In case if a person is found driving illegally on a slope;
- In case if a person is found illegally driving on a wrong path;
- In case if a person is found driving rashly on a parking region;
- In case if a person is found crossing a stopped school bus; and
- In case if a person is found driving recklessly on the commercial and residential streets of commonwealth.
Following any of the above mentioned postulates enforces one to the charge of reckless driving. However, the accused can strive hard in order to reduce the charge to ‘improper driving’ charge. For this purpose, one can hire a legal adviser or a legal attorney who can smartly deal with traffic violation charges. In case if you are in need you are advised to seek legal consultancy from SRIS Law Group. We specialize in dealing with such cases since years, however all what you need to do is contact any of our attorneys and provide him or her with all details of your case. Rest you leave on us!